Butcher Street HQ – Apex Housing
Apex Housing Association provide housing and associated care and support services, with a geographical base throughout Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
As a not-for-profit housing association, there is a focus on applying “Best Value” principles, ensuring that continuous improvement is delivered through efficient and effective service delivery. In an effort to reduce operating costs within their properties, the cognitive technology of CircoSense was identified as a potential energy saving technology.
CircoSense was installed at the Apex Housing Head Office in 2016, and underwent a six-week “Proof of Concept” trial to prove the savings which could be achieved at this particular site. The system uses stored hot water heated indirectly via the boiler plant, and a Ultrasonic Heat Meter was fitted to the primary flow pipe of the heat exchanger in order to measure and verify the savings.
After the trial period concluded, it was established that the CircoSense3000 had resulted in savings of 37% on the cost of heating direct hot water at the site, with a payback period of 3.66 years. In addition, the CircoSense unit reduced the annual carbon emissions at the office by 6.69 tonnes.
“Following an initial trial at one of our care homes, which resulted in significant energy savings, we decided to trial another unit at our head office
in Butcher Street, which again saved both energy and carbon.” Paul Rodgers, Property Services Apex Housing
How the savings were calculated at Apex Butcher Street:
- Reading of Ultrasonic Heat Meter on day one of trial
- Reading taken after two-week baseline period, during which CircoSense unit is on “Bypass” mode to learn system usage
- CircoSense unit changed from “Bypass” to “Active” and begins to reduce energy usage
- Final reading taken after two weeks on “Active” and compared to baseline period
Key Facts & Figures
- ‘Proof of Concept’ installation
- Indirect Water Heater
- 37% reduction in gas consumption for direct hot water
- No disruption to the facility
- 6.69 tonnes carbon reduction
- Payback – 3.66 years
For more information on how CircoSense can reduce your energy costs for hot water and lower carbon emissions, contact us on 0333 320 1000 or using the contact form below.
See more of our CircoSense case studies