Citadel Leisure Centre – South Ayrshire Council
South Ayrshire Council are engaged in a wide range of projects to reduce climate change and progress wider sustainable
In an effort to reduce carbon emissions within their property portfolio, the cognitive technology of CircoSense was identified as a potential energy saving technology.
CircoSense surveyed potential sites where the smart technology of CircoSense could result in savings, and Citadel Leisure Centre was identified as a suitable building. CircoSense was installed in two of the boiler rooms of Citadel Leisure Centre in October 2016, and underwent a trial period to prove the savings which could be achieved across the site.
The CircoSense units have integrated hour run counters within the device to assist the measurement and verification
process. After the trial period concluded, it was established that the CircoSense3000 had resulted in savings of 36% on the cost of heating direct hot water across the site, with a payback period of 2.2 years. In addition, the CircoSense units reduced the annual carbon emissions at the site by 10.3 tonnes.
Ian Hill, Senior Energy Officer at South Ayrshire Council, stated “The two CircoSense units installed at the Citadel Leisure Centre have resulted in significant energy and carbon savings at the site.”
How the savings were calculated at Citadel Leisure Centre:
- Reading of integrated hour run counters on day one of trial
- Reading taken after two-week baseline period, during which CircoSense units are on “Bypass” mode to
learn system usage
- CircoSense units changed from “Bypass” to “Active” and begin to reduce energy usage
- Final reading taken after two weeks on “Active” and compared to baseline period
Key Facts & Figures
• ‘Proof of Concept’ installation
• 2 units installed
• 36% reduction in gas consumption for direct hot water
• No disruption to the leisure centre
• 10.3 tonnes carbon reduction
• Payback – 2.2 years
For more information on the CircoSense device and how it can reduce your carbon emissions and lower fuel costs for hot water, call us on 0333 320 1000 or get in touch through the contact form below.